Instagram allows you to discover other Instagram accounts in almost every part of the app since it wants you to stay connected with your contacts. This includes suggested followers, suggested chats in direct messages and suggested searches. The Instagram suggestions can be helpful, but they also tend to include users you don’t intend to interact with. You should know how to delete suggested accounts on Instagram if you want to protect your privacy or just clear your list. This article explains how to delete suggestions on Instagram on iPhones and Android phones.
How to Delete Suggestions on Instagram
A “Suggestions for You” banner pops up between two posts almost every time you scroll through Instagram. The list consists of accounts Instagram suggests you follow. Although you cannot remove the banner, you can remove each suggestion manually by tapping on the “X” in the upper-right corner of each profile box. However, three more will appear as you remove three recommendations from the banner.
The “See All” tab can be accessed in the banner’s upper-right corner. You will be directed to list all the Instagram accounts recommended to you. Your suggestions can be viewed here, but they cannot be removed.
You can also see your suggestions in direct messages. However, this usually only happens to Instagram users who don’t have a lot of direct messages. Therefore, chatting with more Instagram users is one of the easiest ways to remove suggestions from your direct messages. Nonetheless, this may not be an option for everyone, especially for private accounts with few followers. It is possible to delete the suggestions using a workaround. Your mobile device should be cleared of the Instagram cache.
Deleting Suggestions on Instagram – iPhone
You need to delete the search history on Instagram to clear the cache on the app. The cache on the app may remain, however. The only way to clear the Instagram cache from your iPhone is to delete and reinstall the app. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click and hold the Instagram thumbnail on your home screen.
- Choose “Remove App” from the menu.
- Confirm your decision to delete Instagram.
- Navigate to the Apple App Store.
- Look for Instagram.
- Download the app again.
- Re-enter your credentials to access your account.
Your direct messages on Instagram should no longer contain suggestions for you.
Deleting Suggestions on Instagram – Android
It is possible to clear the Instagram cache on Android devices, unlike iPhones which require you to delete the app. Here is how to do it:
- Go to your Android device’s settings.
- Select “Storage” from the menu.
- Go to “Other Apps.”
- Select “Instagram” from the list of apps and tap it.
- On the app detail page, tap “Clear Cache.”
- Verify that you want to clear the cache.
You’re done. Your direct messages will no longer have any suggestions when you return to the app.
How to Delete Search Suggestions on Instagram
The “Recent” list on Instagram isn’t added when you search for a certain account unless you go to their profile. Here are two ways to get rid of the search suggestions. One method is to go to the “Search” tab and remove suggestions manually. In the second method, you can clear your entire search history in the “Settings.” section.
Deleting Search Suggestions on Instagram – iPhone
You can remove your Instagram search suggestions on your iPhone by following these steps:
- Go to Instagram on your iPhone.
- Select the magnifying glass icon from the bottom menu.
- Click the “Search” button at the top of the page.
- Select each suggestion by clicking the “X” at the bottom.
- If you want to remove all your search suggestions at once, click the “See All” option in the upper-right corner.
- To continue, click the “Clear All” button in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- On the pop-up window, click the “Clear All” button.
You won’t see any search suggestions the next time you go to the “Search” bar. Instagram offers another way to clear your search history. To do so on an iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open Instagram.
- Tap the profile picture at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- You can then select the three horizontal lines on top of the screen.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Select “Security” from the list.
- Clear the search history by clicking on “Clear Search History” at the bottom of the screen.
- You can clear all data by tapping the “Clear All” button in the upper-right corner.
- Be sure you want to clear your search history.
You can’t undo clearing your Instagram search history once you’ve done it. After searching for them, you’ll have to go to each account’s profile to add them to the “Recent” list.